The Hand-Drawn History of Facebook [VIDEO]
Ten years ago today, when Mark Zuckerberg and friends launched the first iteration of Facebook, Zuckerberg had no clue what Facebook would become. Today Facebook connects 1.23 billion monthly active users to friends, family and news from around the world and has revolutionized the way we share our personal moments with each other.
“I remember getting pizza with my friends one night in college shortly after opening Facebook,” Zuckerberg writes in an open letter on Facebook’s 10th anniversary. “I told them I was excited to help connect our school community, but one day someone needed to connect the whole world.” And the network is well on its way to doing just that.
The Past 10 Years at Facebook
To celebrate with Facebook on its 10th birthday and show how the network has grown, Mashable released a hand-drawn video on the past 10 years of Facebook. Here are some of the milestones highlighted by Mashable:
- February 4, 2004: Mark Zuckerberg launches thefacebook.com for Harvard students
- June 2004: Peter Thiel invests $500,000 in the network
- December 2004: Facebook reaches 1 million users just 10 months after launching
- September 26, 2006: Anyone over the age of 13 with a valid email address can join Facebook
- July 10, 2008: The Facebook for iPhone app is released
- February 9, 2009: Facebook introduces the “Like” button
- September 22, 2011: Facebook overhauls profiles with Timeline
- April 9, 2012: Facebook acquires Instagram for $1 billion
- September 14, 2012: Facebook reaches 1 billion users
- May 18, 2012: Facebook goes public at $38 a share
- January 15, 2013: Graph Search is unveiled
With new developments like its Branch acquisition and the new Paper app, coupled by Mark Zuckerberg’s Internet.org initiative, Facebook is gearing up for a prosperous future of helping people connect on even deeper levels.
What do you think Facebook will accomplish over the next 10 years?
Screencaps by Mashable on YouTube